Friday, October 11, 2013

The Tower of Babel

Maybe I am just not understanding God's motivations for the treatment of "his people" but he really doesn't seem to treat them very nicely though this story did provide a quick respite from the bombardment of misogyny. Let's get on with the story anyway. All of the people of the Earth spoke one language and adopted one culture so they travelled to the land of Shinar where they decided to build a city and tower that would reach to the heavens in addition to creating a name for themselves in case they got separated. God came down from Heaven to see the people's creation and he was so horrified by the fact that the people could unite and do great things, he decided to confound their language so they would be divided (Thanks God for creating the basis of human conflict because you resented the greatness of your creation). The population was scattered and the tower was called Babel because of God's vindictive behavior.

I love learning languages and while in high school I completed my French education my sophomore year while I am in AP German as a senior. When I look at all the languages offered by colleges, I almost get giddy with excitement. For my next languages, I would like to learn Portuguese then Hindi then possibly Italian or Hebrew. I am not sure how I am going to keep all these languages straight but I am going to try anyway.


I thought this was a really interesting comparison


http://biblelight.net/Tower-of-Babel.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment