Wednesday, October 16, 2013

So she's climbing the Stairway to Heaven

I'm starting to notice a trend with these Old Testament stories. That is, God in the Old Testament was kinda a huge asshole. The Old Testament has much more of an Old-Fashioned, traditional mythology kind of feel to it - very wrathful and revenge-oriented and all that good stuff. Probably it didn't fit the needs of people at this time to have a theistic belief centered around a kind deity. The New Testament by contract is much more hopeful and Neotheistic (this is 100% a term I made up) than the Old.

Anyway, this week on God Is a Huge Prick, a group of humans - who are all apparently too smart for their own good - decide to build a city in the land of Shinar. This city was to center around an absurdly tall tower - so, basically it was Dubai, except less ambitious. God, seeing that a people who all spoke the same language could apparently have no other obstacles to building a tower that went all the way into the sky - never mind scarcity or human conflict or anything else - decides the only solution that will protect his long-held monopoly of the sky is to "confound" all the humans, causing them to speak different languages and scatter across the Earth. The town is then renamed Babel, after the website Babelfish, which met all your translation needs before Google Translate was a thing.

How can we find our own "Stairway to heaven?" What even is a stairway to heaven? Is it your favorite classic rock song? An insanely overambitious project of yours that makes your jealous dad throw a fit? Perhaps a stairway to heaven is a struggle or path we must take to reach a state of higher being. If so, I believe mine may well be the struggle to love myself. I realize this might seem contradictory. To many people I probably seem too egotistical, too cocky or too sure of myself. I don't know why this is, perhaps Marina and the Diamonds explain it best in their song "Oh No!" - "I feel like I'm the worst, so I always act like I'm the best." Whatever the appearance may be, I feel thoroughly lacking in any sense of real self-worth - I'll even admit that at times I go so far as to hate myself. The struggle to overcome this internal negativity, in order to live happily and have happy relationships with others, is perhaps the defining struggle of my life so far and one I hope will end in me achieving a higher state of being.

No comments:

Post a Comment