Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Genesis 18-19

God had intentions of destroying the two cities, Sodom and Gomorrah. Angels were sent to save Lot as Abraham had pleaded God to spare Lot. He also requested God not destroy the two cities for the sake of Lot and his family, and God agreed on one condition - there had to be 50 virtuous people. Abe' couldn't knew he couldn't find fifty rightful men in the cities, so God agreed upon 40.. but 40 righteous people were nowhere to be found. This continues until God finally lowers the number to 10. This really tells you about Abraham's feelings toward Sodom and Gomorrah.

Fast forward: Two angels enter Sodom. Lot sees angels. Lot invites angels to stay in house. Men hear of angels in Sodom's house and demand they come out so bystanders can perform acts of homosexuality on said angels. Sin. Lots of sin. Lot offers daughters to bystanders so crowd will leave. Sin! More sin! Angels tell Lot and family to flee. Cue fleeing. Cue God's command of not looking back. Wife looks back. God turns wife into salt. God destroys the plains. The end.

Unfair punishment is something I'm familiar with. In almost every setting, I find myself receiving someone else's blame. At school, I tend to get yelled at if someone else is talking to me while I'm trying to do work. At work, I get scolded for sending out mail incorrectly, even though it wasn't I who sent the mail out. At home, I get yelled by my mother for not washing the dishes even though I know it's the phantom dish-dirtier doing all the evil. Sometimes you've got to take one for the team, and sometimes you've got to stand up for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment