Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Pygmalian and Galatea

The story of Pygmalian and Galatea begins with a sculptor, Pygmalion. He sculpts a beautiful young girl who's beauty was told to be no match to other women. Pygmalion falls in love with this statue, giving it jewels and pearls and clothes. He falls so deeply in love that he prays and makes offerings to the Gods to bring the statue to life. Aphrodite takes pity on Pygmalion and turns the sculpture into a human. The woman is named Galatea, and they marry and have a son named Paphos.  This story is interesting because I think it would be easy to fall in love with something you've created. I know I "fall in love" with fictional characters all the time.. hello Edward Cullen? (sorry I'm lame, I know). However, if I had to pick on character to come to life I would definitley pick Katniss from the Hunger Games. I just love her so much; she is confident and strong and such, excuse my language, a badass. I also think I love her because her "real life" persona is played by Jennifer Lawrence who is so amazing (and from KY!!), so hopefully if Katniss ever came to life she would be a little like Jennifer Lawrence. 

Galatea comes to life!

http://www.thanasis.com/pygmal.htm 

No comments:

Post a Comment