Monday, October 14, 2013

Pygmalion and Galatea

Pygmalion back in the day was a master sculptor who created a beautiful sculpture that he called Galatea. He was so taken with his work that he got a little more attached than anyone should to an inanimate object even kissed it on the lips daily. Aphrodite, the goddess of love, saw this confused "lover" with no clear path to happiness so for once a god decided to help out a human with no ulterior motivations. She turned the statue into a living breathing woman, and from then on those two lived happily ever after (although good luck with giving the "how we met" story at social gatherings). Also did anyone else but I not understand that the play we read sophomore year titled Pygmalion was named for this? I always just called the play My Fair Lady because I am hopelessly enamored with Audrey Hepburn, and I never really put it together. I think if I could I would choose to bring a character to life, it would be Robert Langdon from all those Dan Brown books. Partly because I just finished Inferno, which did not disappoint, and because I kinda want to involved in a high speed plot to thwart an assassination attempt of the Royal Family by the IRA. Or is that just Patriot Games.... Maybe just a Patriot Games but with Robert Langdon in it... I enjoy Langdon because he seems to know everything about any cool European symbology worth knowing from any time period, and I find that extremely fascinating and he'd be someone I'd like to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment