Monday, October 7, 2013

The Thirst was Too Real

Although he probably would have liked to site his dissatisfaction with the female sex, Pygmalion was essentially the loneliest man in all of Crete. So lonely, in fact, that he put his skill as an artisan to work and sculpted himself a girlfriend. This wasn't a benign "Oh look how pretty my creation is, I should put it in a gallery", this was hardcore crazy stuff. He draped her in the finest cloths and made a bed for her to 'sleep' in at night. Pretty weird guy, right? And if you knew anything about Greek Mythology, you're probably foreseeing some smiting in Pygmalion's not too distant future, what with the pride and insane creepiness he displays towards this sculpture. But no. The smiting doesn't come. Aphrodite brings this sculpture tolife after he wishes really really hard for it, and they get married and live happily ever after. Not only does the thirstiest man in all of the classical world get laid, you're also jipped on your standard dose of smiting. The story disappoints at every end.
If I could bring one character to life it would have to be Sal Paradise, the narrator of on the road, if only to see what he would say about the world today and what kind of shit I could get into with him. I've always wanted to go and get kinda lost but I feel like I need someone with a strong enough influence to get me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment