Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Pygmalion and Galatea

Pygmalion, a sculptor from Cyprus, is disgusted when he sees a group of women prostituting themselves. Turned off from real women, he decides to create a sculpture out of ivory of his ideal woman. He names the sculpture Galatea and falls in love with it. He gives gifts of clothes, jewelry, flowers, etc. to the statue because he is so fond of his creation. He eventually prays to Aphrodite for a wife that is as perfect as his statue. When he goes home, he kisses and feels the statue and realizes that it is becoming soft and warm. Galatea eventually turns into a real woman and marries Pygmalion.
source
OH SNAP!!!! A character that I would love to see brought to life is Raven from That's So Raven. I don't think I really need to explain why I would want her to be real. Last year, for our English blog we were asked to choose a fictional character that we would like to be. Obviously, I chose Raven (Link to that post here). She is by far my favorite character on a T.V. show and she's the one who I'd most like to spend time with. She could be my Galatea and I could be her Pygmalion, and we would live happily every after with our little mixed psychic babies.
ya nasty


No comments:

Post a Comment