Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Trojan Horse and Dream Journey

The story of the Trojan horse is recounted by the Roman poet Virgil in the Aeneid and is not associated with the Iliad despite popular theory. Homer's epic ends before the fall of the city but the wooden horse is referred to in the Odyssey. The tale is well known: Odysseus, cunning Greek warrior, hatches a plot to disguise soldiers in a large wooden horse made to look like an offering so that the Trojans will bring it into the city only to be ambushed in the night. The story is an example of how the Greeks valued brains over brawn through the hero Odysseus. Where would my dream journey be? Well to keep in the theme of Greece, I would love to visit the Mediterranean. My Grandfather is Greek and his name, meaning citizen, is the one I carry around and I'd love to go back to the fatherland for a couple weeks. See the sights: the Acropolis, some temples, travel the coastline, eat some olives some goat, live the life of a Greek. Plus if the pictures of Santorini or the Cyclades are what they live up to be, I'm in for a treat. If you've ever seen Mama Mia you know what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment