Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pandora's Box


In this creation story, Pandora's Box is like that birthday present put on top of the cabinet holding that incredible gift you, as a five year old, must see before the special day. Being a mischievous kid, you of course can't withhold all that curiosity in that little body of yours, so you find whatever it is you need to reach the top of the cabinet. Ripping into the paper, you unwrap your present to see an extremely unsatisfying t-shirt. That's when your parents walk in, catching you red-handed in the act of deceiving the trust they had in you. That's when the yelling comes--or maybe it's that soft disappointed talk that really gets to you. All this trouble, and what for? A t-shirt. Now you know what that present sitting on top of the cabinet is, but the punishment and the disappointment you receive isn't worth knowing the secret. More or less, this is the situation in Pandora's Box except that the consequences are exponentially worse and create permanent damage to the entirety of the world. Only hope remains inside the box.
In my life, there is evil which I wish to squelch. It may not be as extreme or severe as the evil seen in Pandora's Box. However, I do know that it holds me back and I realize that it slows me down in my performance and every day activities. Procrastination and un-motivational thinking hinder my ability to work to my best ability, which is something I need to work on exterminating. I need to learn how to become organized and put all my effort into whatever task I'm attempting.

No comments:

Post a Comment