Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pandora's Box



Pandora's Box is an ancient myth in which Zeus orders Hephaestus to create a daughter. Hephaestus forms this woman named Pandora out of clay, and she is sent down to Earth to be the wife of Zeus's brother. Zeus had ulterior motives, you see; he wanted to get even with his brother (who gave fire to people without consulting Zeus first) so he figured the best plan of action would be to send him a beautiful wife with a locked box and a key. He assumed his brother's curiosity would get the best of him and that he would open the box, but Pandora's curiosity gave way before her husband's. She opened the box one night and out flew disease, sickness, hate, envy, and all the bad things that people had never experienced before. It was too late. She had unleashed evil into the world, but as she opened the box one last time, out flew Hope.

I found it interesting that Pandora was actually a woman; I had always imagined Pandora as a man, but my image search proved me wrong. I also immediately thought of The Garden of Eden and how the stories shared a handful of similarities, such as

  • the first woman was created by man
  • women were central characters
  • Eve and Pandora were told not to do something, yet did said thing regardless
  • curiosity unleashed miseries onto humanity
I don't know if I'd like to squelch any evils. Without evil, good cannot exist. We wouldn't have anything to admire, work towards, or fight against. We'd just kind of be here. 

(Actually, I'd probably squelch Kidz Bop.)

No comments:

Post a Comment