Monday, September 16, 2013

Jenny vs. Helen: Edward edition


The story of Cain and Abel in Genesis Chapter 4 shows the classic tale of jealousy between siblings. 

Adam and Eve gave birth to two sons, Cain and Abel. One day, Cain offered some fruit to the lord while Abel brought a more impressive offering -- fat portions from some of the firstborn from his flock. Cain became jealous, tricked his brother into going into a field with him, and then attacked and killed him.

Later, the Lord asked Cain where Abel was. Cain acted as if he didn't know, and inquired, "Am I my brother's keeper?"

But the Lord knew what Cain had done, so he put him under a curse. From that day on, whenever Cain worked the ground, it would no longer yield crops.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture Credit
My sister and I used to fight -- alot. We'd yell, hit, and scheme against each other. But now that she's away in college and we've had over a year apart, we seem to be closer than ever. We talk on the phone often about everything and nothing at all, and we act just like friends. This transition is a warm, happy story--i know--but it's not what you asked for. So let me tell you about the time my sister and I liked the same boy.

We were visiting our Korean friends in Maryland and staying with them for the weekend. Instantly, I became infatuated with who I thought was the absolute love of my life. Unfortunately, my sister was cast under the same spell. For those two days, we scraped and clawed at each other to get to Edward. My sister was a heavy sleeper, often dozing until noon. So I took the opportunity to wake up early at around 8 a.m. so that I could hang out with Edward, who was also an early bird. Basically this fact of life proved we were meant to be. However, I was younger than my sister and subsequently went to sleep earlier. So my sister took the advantage of my unfortunate bed time to hang out with Edward while I was supposed to be asleep rather than wide awake in my bed, thinking of all the terrible ways Edward could  fall in love with my wretched sister instead. In the end, my sister and I both left Maryland defeated. I like to tell myself he thought I was more relatable in the end, though. After all, we had some great times in the early morning hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment