Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Genesis I-III: The Garden of Eden

The first three books of the bible describe the Christian creation myth, including the creation of man and his fall from the graces of his god. The god commands he and his wife never to eat from the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil", but being deceived by the serpent, the wife Eve eats the fruit and convinces the man Adam to do so as well. This act reveals to them some apparent moral knowledge, and the god banishes them from the paradise of Eden for their betrayal of his commands. I have experience with this tale from my childhood in the protestant church, but upon return after years of ideological development, the story seems very strange to me. For the most part it seems to be an attempt to justify the social conventions of the time by claiming their origin to be the omnipotent creator himself. The most hideous instance of this is the depiction of Eve (or women in general) as both subservient to the man and a corrupter. In the tale, Adam would have never eaten the forbidden fruit had she not "foolishly" fallen for the serpent's tricks. All of this is just an elaborate attempt to solidify misogyny as divine practice. The origins of the Earth as told by this story do not much resemble my own. Here, the events are punctuated, large occurrences which drastically change the previous state. For me (and I'm sure for many others), development has been a slow grade, beginning in one place and warping continually until this moment. I can't place any time frame on my "origins" because I will never be done progressing. I will never "hit my stride" and cease to change in character and ability. I like this kind of creation much more. The creation in Genesis is supposed to be an absolute, huge events then equilibrium forever, but this is an inaccurate view of how the world works. Our constant change and progression makes life interesting and worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment