Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Odysseus and the Trojan Horse: My Dream Journey

This story is set during the Trojan War between the Greeks and the Trojans. Odysseus devises a plan to get past the wall protecting the city of Troy. He plans to build a giant horse that all but one person can hide inside. The Greeks would offer the horse to the Trojans as sort of a "trophy," a declaration of their dominance, so they couldn't refuse the offer. Odysseus planned to have his troops jump out and attack the Trojans once the horse is brought inside the city. Once it is brought in, the Trojans celebrate their supposed victory, getting very drunk and foolish. This made it easy for the hidden Greek soldiers to then murder the people living in the city. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dream journey would be to Iceland. I know, a lot of people assume one of two things when I say this: 1) that I'm trying to be unique and, dare I say, "hipster." or 2) that I'm crazy. Most people don't know that Iceland actually isn't all that "icy," that's more of Greenland. Iceland is an absolutely breathtaking country and I would do anything to visit. Within one country of only about 320 thousand people, there are volcanoes, geothermal springs and pools, ice blue glaciers -- all set amidst picturesque landscapes surrounded by rolling pastures and colorful seaside towns. 
Gah. Just talking about it makes me want to drop everything and hop onto a plane. I'd bring all my essentials, but that would be it. It's not that I wouldn't want to live in comfort, but I'd want to really assimilate into the "Icelandic" culture for a couple weeks. Apparently the culture is very easy going, so that wouldn't make things too difficult to me. I'd look into their environmental programs, seeing how they are by far one of the most sustainable and environmentally friendly countries out there. No wonder, with a country that beautiful, it would be hard to ignore the majesty and importance of our earth. 
Iceland Waterfalls 
An Iceland Town
Black Sand Beaches

No comments:

Post a Comment