Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Genesis IV: Cain and Abel

The story of Cain and Abel in the Bible is remarkably short and without any clear lesson. Sure, one probably should not murder anyone else, especially not one's brother, but aside from that there is no moral of the story. God expressed some arbitrary favor with Abel, and Cain killed him for it. Maybe this tells us not to worry about God's approval because we will be driven to unspeakable acts. I myself am not inclined to think anything of this story except that I do like using the term "my brother's keeper." My brother and I are on fantastic terms these days, and I could never see myself killing him. Perhaps when we were younger and living together tensions would run high, but I have never truly had anything but love for him. He's a great person, and we keep in contact every day. Every couple weekends we see each other, and though its less than I'd like, I'll take anything. We have the same tastes in movies and music and the same sense of humor, and he really is a good friend. I hope that we can remain so close well into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment