Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Villanelle

Out of the three poems, I believe that "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night" served as the best example of a Villanelle. Not only was Dylan Thomas' poetry my favorite, but it also presents the villanelle form clearly and without any confusion. The poem had an accurate stanza form and repetition of lines and I believed that out of the three options it was the best. The repetition was concise and made it an easy read, but that it no way diminished the depth of the poem. The message I received from the poem is as follows: Fight for what you believe in. I know that, in the simplest sense, the poem is outwardly talking about refusing death and choosing to "not go gently." However, I think the meaning can be extended outward and is prevalent in many other areas of our life. A quite nerdy example would be in debate. Even when you feel like you are losing terribly, you should fight and refuse defeat because of all the hard work you put into your cases. Your cases are the collection of your blood, sweat, and tears. They started off as mere outlines and developed into rough drafts and grew into polished final copies. This can relate back to our life. We make mistakes along the way; we adjust; and we become better, more polished people because of it.

Overall, I chose this poem partly because I personally enjoyed "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night" the most. I was attracted to the message and intrigued by the forceful and powerful tone. It was captivating to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment