Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Ruth

So there's a famine in Bethlehem, meaning that Elimelech and his wife, Naomi, have to move east with their two sons, and their sons marry Ruth and Orpah, but then, all the men die eventually, so Naomi, Ruth, and Orpah are left there. Naomi decides to go back to Bethlehem and Ruth, going against her people, tags along anyway. Boaz is a local guy that starts to like Ruth, so Naomi tries to get them together and eventually, Ruth and Boaz do get married. Their pasts are different, but their son, Obed, had a son named Jesse, who had a son named David, who became the king of Israel. That's big stuff right there. 

What's also big stuff is that Ruth is showing how to interact in a Jewish society as a non-Jewish woman, which is incredibly big in the Bible and for that time period. Now, we look at an interracial/cultural relationship as no biggie (or rather, I'd hope most of us do) because we've come a hella far way since Ruth was being chastised for marrying into a Jewish family. Even 30 years ago it was different and odd, especially for something as common as an interracial relationship that we see today, but I do think that there are still stigmas brought on by ignorant people that don't see a relationship for what it truly is: love. I mean, heck, I'll give my two cents story about my aunt, a white woman, who married a black man. They loved each other a lot and it never occurred to me when I was little that this was something off, it was just different. But even though the marriage didn't work out necessarily, it didn't keep me or anyone else from thinking that it was a big deal. Because it's really not. It's just two people loving each other. And maybe if you're talking about it from a more cultural aka religious aspect, I think it can be odd, but I don't think it's an end-all be-all. It can change a lot, but you've got to know what you're going to decide to do ahead of time and then I think it's all good.


No comments:

Post a Comment