Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Villanelle

Of these three poems, I believed the third, "One Art", used the villanelle the best. I would say that the first, "Do Not Go Gentle Into The Night" was strictly villanelle with no alterations, and that (at least to me) led it to seem annoying and redundant and that it was obviously trying to achieve the right rhyme scheme and repetition. I thought the second two did a better job working the villanelle into their piece, rather than wrapping their piece around the villanelle. Their use of caesuras helped the poems flow while also consisting of the principals of the villanelle, allowing themselves more pauses than the outline of the villanelle gives them. I particularly thought the use of parentheses in "One Art" and her alteration of the lines ending in "disaster" helped set apart parts of the poem, avoiding a redundant and repeating tone such as in the first poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment