Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Villanelle

After reading the three poems, I think I like "One Art" by Elizabeth Bishop the best and I think it conveys it's message the easiest. By following the villanelle form of repeating the first line as the last line in most of the stanzas, we can tell that Bishop is trying to tell us about the importance of coming to terms with loss. She's seems to be emphasizing that losing something isn't a big deal, and that all you need to do is move on once you lose something. She says that after losing two cities (which I think is a pretty big deal), "I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster". Bishop acknowledges that it's hard to lose things in your life-the last stanza tells us that-but all you need to do is move on. I think the structure of the villanelles are really interesting, but sometimes hard to interpret. I think "One Art" by Elizabeth Bishop is the best and easiest to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment