Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring Sestina II

We're discovering a magnificent world of warmth
The dark days of winter will soon turn
The pale darkness of the land now green
Prospects of new beginnings abound with life
A time to brighten and enjoy the spring,
As the breeze whispers softly through the meadow.

The break of dawn, a doe alone in the meadow
She feels the rays spawn a glowing warmth,
Nature grins down upon her ambassadors of spring.
Rejoice one and all for the days will turn
Longer as the animals celebrate the gift of life
The members of the fraternity revel in their banner green.

A calling card of wealth; green
Invites all peoples into the sanctum of the meadow
The place teaming with abundant life.
is hard to ignore, like the warmth
in your heart that could turn
the darkest winter into the brightest spring.

Isn't that what we yearn for? The Spring
That frees the young birds from the nest; green
And anxious to fly, to finally turn
The leaf and flutter haphazardly into the meadow
Feeling the glorious rays giving warmth,
Repeating that glorious cycle of life!

Such a gift, we rarely reflect on: life.
So many souls will never again taste the spring.
The Innocent and the brave that will never feel the warmth
Thoughts of carnage and disease creep and turn one green.
Alas, there are those who found the meadow,
but for those who didn't our memories musn't turn.

And for them we rejoice! As the the flowers turn
and new bridges are built and we celebrate life.
We take our newborn children for the first time to the meadow
Let them experience the grace of a first spring.
The laughter and the play staining their knees green
Until finally, we all tire, collapsing in the soothing warmth.

As I walk from the meadow of life,
I pause; glancing down as the tulips turn green
And breathe in the warmth, saving the joy of spring.


After writing a sestina, I felt writing it was a very organic process; you're given a structure, told to make it work, and I felt this was a good springboard for creativity. I didn't really want to do a narrative from beginning to end because I thought this wouldn't capture my infatuation with spring and it would be too challenging. So I tried to create scenes that are relatable which capture the essence of spring: (in order 1st stanza = turn the corner, 2nd = animals, 3rd = rich life, 4th = new life, 5th = life lost, and 6th = human life. For the 7th stanza (I know "meadow of life is the biggest cliche I've ever written) but the line I love the most is breathing in the warmth, because you just can't do that at any other time. It is a great joy to walk outside after months of prolonged cold and let the 60 degree air fill your lungs. You feel refreshed and energized and that is the essence of spring. I really enjoyed writing this because it is simply my favorite season. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that the structure sparked your creative fire. I feel equally reverent about spring. I'm longing for it to come to back to stay!

    ReplyDelete