Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Daedalus and Icarus

Daedalus is a master architect, inventor, and craftsman. He comes to Crete where King Minos makes use of his skills and tells him to create a huge labyrinth, which is an underground maze that is used to contain a Minotaur. Every year, King Minos sacrifices young men and women by placing them in the labyrinth with the Minotaur where they are eaten. However, Daedalus reveals the secrets of the labyrinth to one young man named Theseus, who ends up killing the Minotaur in the labyrinth. King Minos finds out that Daedalus told him how to do this and punishes him and his son Icarus by placing them in the labyrinth. However, they are the ones who designed the maze so they know how to escape. Once they are out, they need to get out of Crete as well, but know they can't escape by sea. Daedalus crafts a pair of wings for both him and Icarus that are made out of feathers and held together by wax. He warns Icarus to not fly too close to the sun because the heat will melt the wax and to not fly too close to the water because the foam will soak the feathers. Once they are in flight, Icarus gets really excited and flies too close to the sun, melting the wax in his wings and causing him to plummet to his death in the ocean. Daedalus sees his son die but continues on to the island of Sicily to be free.


sad :'-( cry cry cry
Thinking about obedience and risk, I've reached the conclusion that I'm very obedient and don't take many risks. I think the first is a positive, but I'm not so sure about the second one. I usually play it safe in my life and I don't like to put myself in potentially dangerous or uncomfortable situations. Unfortunately, I feel like this has held me back from doing some of the things I've wanted to do and having some of the characteristics I would like to have. It would be hella swag to be spontaneous and gutsy, and hopefully I can make my way towards that as I move forward in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment