Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Hear the Boat Sing

http://hear-the-boat-sing.blogspot.com/2010/05/sonnet-to-r.html

This poem strays far from the English traditional Iambic Pentameter sonnet in that it is primarily tetrameter and of a syllabic pattern that has proven itself indecipherable to my eye. It is in Shakespearean form and the "turn" comes as early as the first stanza, after which Lehmann stops sarcastically acclaiming his subject and more sincerely mocks him. I believe that because it was a more casual and joking sonnet that Lehmann decided not to use iambic pentameter. It is much more conversational. I chose this sonnet because after unsuccessfully searching for sonnets about Nick Cage, Vince Vaughn and Vin Diesel, I decided to search for sonnets written by Keaton Butler. This was for some reason a result on the 3rd page although I cannot find the words "Keaton" or "Butler" anywhere. I gave up and chose it. It is about a rowing coach in Britain, which I believe Lehmann was. This is a very bland poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment