Tuesday, March 11, 2014

sestina (revised)

a sestina about how this year is a waste of my time by me


I wake up to a buzzing sound,
hit the alarm, and groan.
My days are all the same:
From home to school then back again.
I lose gas and time and sleep
And at the end of the day I’ve learned nothing.

In the morning my mind absorbs nothing
Just waiting for the savory bell sound.
I try my best not to sleep
And wake on the desk with groan.
About to happen all again;
Every hour is the same.

Even the people are the same,
What changes is nothing.
I’m in the same boat again
Waiting for the savory bell sound,
Watching the clock with groan,
Wishing for sleep.

I have to work, I cannot sleep.
Work through the night with a groan.
Every night it’s the same,
And I’m learning nothing.
I wake up to the buzzing sound
And go to waste my day again.

Get up, get dressed, go learn again
Without the sweet necessity of sleep
I’m haunted by a buzzing sound.
All day it’s the same:
Doing nothing.
I sit through class holding in a groan.

On Friday we no longer groan,
But we blink and it’s Monday again,
And we’re back to doing nothing.
Thank God we had some time to sleep
But then once more it’s all the same:
We wake up to a buzzing sound.

I sleep again and wake to nothing.
The groan, same as mine, in the halls;
that sound is all I've learned.


I really just kind of fine-tuned this because I liked how it sounded. Kristen helped me find places where verbs tenses didn't agree and such and I changed them. Also some lines were wordy or awkward so I reworded them. It just goes to show that you think your own work is good but other people can find its mistakes. Also that even though each line has a formulaic end, the majority of each stanza is filled with space available for creativity and editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment