Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Jacob & Esau

God tells Abraham's wife, Rebekah, that she will give birth to twins that would represent nations, one stronger than the other. Esau is born first with Jacob in second, clinging to his brother's heel. They grow to be opposites; Esau is brash, while Jacob is soft-spoken. One day Esau comes home, incredibly hungry, and Jacob gets him to exchange his birthrights in exchange for some soup. Yum. Seems like Esau didn't really value his birthright.

I have one older brother, so my birthright is to learn from my brother's mistakes. This is not something I consider a guess; my parents plainly expect me to use my brother's mistakes as lessons to learn from. My parents are quick to tell me, "that the 'baby' didn't need to babied, so I guess I have the birthright of more responsibilities than my older brother. I'm expected to do chores, help out with cooking, and to "fend for myself", while Holden is pampered with an absence of responsibilities.

come on, Esau, was it worth it? source

No comments:

Post a Comment