Tuesday, December 3, 2013

I feel ya, Esau

Another wonderful story from the elementary Sunday School education, brought up in a Baptist Church:

Do you know what's really funny about this story (and literally the only thing I remember from 4th grade Sunday School) that a lot of people didn't talk about? The fact that Jacob and Esau's dad was blind and couldn't tell the difference between the two. Esau was pretty hair and Jacob wasn't, so Rebekah (their mom) told Jacob to go put goat skin on his arms so that his dad would think that Jacob was Esau. WHAT WHAT?!

It's funny, actually, because we had to act out this story as little 9 year olds. Someone found something weird to pretend that was hairy goat skin.

Regardless, the bigger picture of this story is that Jacob freaking stole Esau's birthrights. Yup, his actual factual birthrights, all because Esau was hungry (HEY, you're not you when you're hungry. Try a Snickers) and wanted a bowl of stew. They went on for a couple of years without speaking, but then forgave each other-- which is the moral of the story.

I'm the oldest of four siblings, and probably the most annoying because I relish in being the oldest. I have the car (my 16 yr old brother doesn't want to learn how and doesn't go to school across town) and am trusted the most, probably because I don't have an older sibling that would've screwed things up for me. I'm grateful for that.


HAH. I'm the oldest. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment