Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Jacob and Esau

Esau and Jacob were the sons of Isaac, and since Esau was the oldest, he inherited all of his father's birthrights. One day when Esau returned from hunting, his brother was cooking a meal. Esau, who was terribly hungry, asked his brother for some food. Jacob obliged, but on the condition that Esau surrender all of the firstborn birthrights to him. Esau agreed and gave Jacob all of the birthrights; Esau clearly didn't think this one through. Esau would still be blessed by his father as only the firstborn son is, but Jacob stole that from him too. Jacob approached Isaac, who was old with deteriorating vision and gave Jacob the blessing instead of Esau.

I am the oldest, but to a brother who just so happens to be my complete opposite. From day one we went different directions. I was super easy going as a baby and he was like my way or the highway; today it is completely reversed. I am the high-strung one and he lives in complete naive bliss. I guess my birthright would be to set a good example for my brother and all the stuff, and while yes I try to set a good example for him, we live very different lifestyles. I mainly make life pretty easy for my parents. I do my own thing and never really need much help, while my brother is pretty much dependent on someone else. He is a boy though, so there isn't much going on up in his head anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment