Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Jacob and Esau

Everybody has already written their blogs, so there is not really a point in me re-summarizing the story.

I was born into a relatively well-off household. We have food and shelter. Sometimes our wants are left un-met, but rarely our needs. When I first here "birthright" I imagine something being taken for granted. I imagine a greedy child grabbing at something that they believe naturally should be theirs. I hate to think I have many of these, but inevitably I do. I feel entitled to my own room, a phone, a college education. It was my birthright to have these things at my disposal. This makes me feel like a bad person when I say it out loud, but really; how many of us are free of ideas of entitlement? Honestly, something I feel just in claiming is my birthright is health. I SHOULD meet the health standards as a baby. I have not yet done anything to cause them to be taken away, so unless god or whoever is screwing with me, I deserve to be born healthy. Whatever mistakes I make which impact my health are on me. When I am born, I should be born healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment