Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Jacob and Esau

Way back when, the sons of Isaac, grandsons of Abraham, Jacob and Esau were just having a normal day. There had been a prophecy about these brothers from God that went something along the lines of this: all descendants of modern people will descend from these brothers (twins) and the elder (firstborn) will have the younger serve him. Even at birth it is said that Jacob, the second born, was grabbing onto Esau's heel as he came out of the womb, as if he was trying to pull Esau back into the womb. Anyway, one day Esau was really hungry and Jacob had made this awesome stew, so Esau basically was tricked into selling his birthright for a bowl of that awesome stew.

I don't know if I really have a birthright by ancient standards. I am the first of two brothers, but I definitely won't inherit all the property because the law of Primogeniture no longer applies (sadly). I think I do have many things as my birthright, for instance I don't get all the hand-me-downs, like my brother Tom will, I get the first crack at the car, and the first go at many things. However my parents won't make the same mistakes with Tom as they made with me and I can teach Tom a couple things about the do's and don'ts of life, so I guess it has its advantages and disadvantages.

No comments:

Post a Comment