Monday, December 2, 2013

Jacob and Esau

Abraham eventually died from extreme old age and his descendants were left to populate the earth. After Abraham died, his son Isaac married Rebekah, and she eventually gave birth to two twin boys, Jacob and Esau. As the two boys grew, it became increasingly clear how very different their personalities were: Esau was described as a "cunning hunter, a man of the field" while Jacob was portrayed as a "plain man, dwelling in tents." One day, as Jacob was "sodding pottage," Esau came in from a long day in the field, apparently starving. Esau begged Jacob for food, but Jacob
would not give him anything unless Esau sold him his birthright (whatever it was). Esau, fearing that he was close to dying, agreed to sell Jacob his birthright, and Jacob then gave him food.

I will admit that I do not totally understand what Esau's birthright was supposed to be in the story, but I do understand the concept of a birthright. Considering I live in the United States of America, I would believe my birth right includes my rights to freedom, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. While this answer may seem trite (and it somewhat is), I have never really considered this question of my innate entitlements before now. Now that I am considering this topic, I believe that my birthright more specifically includes my freedom to choose however I would like to live my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment