Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Echo and Narcissus


Echo was quite the chatter box until the day that Juno took away her ability to ask questions or engage in conversation other than to answer questions asked of her. Juno punished Echo because when Juno was looking for her husband Echo had sparked a conversation with her while all the other nymphs fled the underneath of Jupiter making it more difficult for Juno to find her husband. One day while Echo was at a pond, she saw Narcissus and immediately fell in love. There was a problem though, Echo could only respond to any questions Narcissus would ask, which frustrated Echo. Her frustration continued when she could only respond with the last words of whomever Echo was speaking/listening to. When Narcissus looking into the pond he then fell out of love with Echo and in love with himself. Narcissus had been a bit of a catch with the nymphs and thus had been punished for it. He began weeping into the pond and when his friends arrived later to retrieve his body, all that was left was a purple and white flower. 
As I shouldn't name names, a narcissist I abhor is the Diva. The Diva is this girl at dance that I have the distinct honor of being in class with her for 10 years and get to graduate with her. I call her the Diva because it is her world and we all just live in it and honestly she pisses me off like no other. I don't understand her for many reasons- one being she is open about being a "princess" or having people do everything for her. "Why should I get my license when I have my mom and boyfriend to drive me around." I can't make this stuff up. If she isn't front and center in the dance, she will some how manage to move her self into that spot. The world revolves around her and her needs which are all so superficial and pompous. The altruistic person I admire is well more of an animal or two. My dogs are the most selfless people/ animals I know. They want nothing more than to please and the occasional belly rub. I do pick favorites though, Sumter (the old man/ chubs) is my favorite because he is mentally sane unlike Bullet who has some issues. The only things they ask for is a walk, some food, and to be let outside. No matter how mad I get or or loud I yell at Bullet he will always come back for a little love or to give a little lovin. I love my dogs more than anything and I will miss them like crazy next year when I go off to school. 

Sumter

Bullet

No comments:

Post a Comment