Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Echo and Narcissus

Echo is a beautiful nymph who loves to talk and always has the last word. Hera curses her and makes it so that the only time she can speak is when she is spoken to and she can only repeat what people say to her. She is in love with Narcissus, a youth who is beautiful but doesn't return any of the love he receives  One day, Echo sees Narcissus in the woods and they meet. However, she is unable to tell him how much she loves him and he ends up telling her to go away. Echo runs away to the mountains and her grief eventually destroys her body, but her voice is left to reply to people when they speak. Narcissus looks into a pool of water and falls in love with the reflection he sees, thinking it's a water spirit. He is unable to break away from the love he felt for himself so he eventually dies at the pool and his body disappears, only leaving a flower in its place. 
source
I could talk about some narcissistic people that I know, but I feel like that would be a waste of a blog post. So, one of the many altruistic people that I know is my sister, Ellen. She's one of the most selfless people I know and it amazes me how mature and unselfish she is for her age. She's always willing to make sacrifices for the well-being of others, which is one of the reasons why I look up to her so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment