Sunday, November 3, 2013

Echo and Narcissus




The story of Echo and Narcissus is a story of a woman with only an echo and a narcissist. Ha ha ha see what I did there?

Anyway, Narcissus is one handsome fellow. He sure knows it, seeing how he doesn't return anyone's affections. One disappointed nymph, Echo, prays to the god of anger, Nemesis, and asks that Narcissus fall in love with himself since "he who loves not others love himself." Later on, Narcissus stops for a drink at a small pond. He falls hopelessly in love with his reflection. He can't think of anything or anyone else. He pines for days, staring into the pool and fruitlessly attempting to capture a reflection that is just water. Eventually, he starves to death by the pond and turns into a beautiful flower :)
Narcissus allegedly transforms into the flower pictured above.
Source featured on picture.

The second part of this journal prompt asks me to discuss either a narcissist I abhor or an altruist I admire. But being as unique and witty as I am (jkjk), I shall discuss a narcissist I admire...someone who has captured the attention of millions...someone I am utterly fascinated by.

That person is Kanye West.

Let's start by examining some incredibly narcissistic quotes by Kanye.

"I am so credible and so influential and so relevant that I will change things."

"I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period. By a long jump."

And my personal favorite. This was Kanye's response when asked about his awesomeness:

" It's only led me to complete awesomeness at all times. It's only led me to awesome truth and awesomeness. Beauty, truth, awesomeness. That's all it is."

I was considering producing a feature-length film with two sequels and a TV series adaptation with a couple of novellas and a standard five paragraph essay to elaborate on Kanye's narcissism, but I think those three quotes just about cover it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment