Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Pomegranate

"The only legend I have ever loved is
the story of a daughter lost in hell."
This opening line reminds me very much of my imagination as a young girl.  When my mind was threatened by boredom I would request a story. The story would usually start as any princess story would. The princess would be thrown into peril and as my raconteur attempted to save her, I would stop them, declaring that in fact she only awaited another peril. In this way, the tales of my childhood could in theory go on forever, the character (usually some version of Kiki) bound to a cycle of distress and salvation.
This likeness, however, is only extended throughout that first sentence, after which "and found and rescued there" strays from the trend of unsavable-ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment