Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Poetry Post 5

The Hammock by Li-Young Lee

Tone- amazement and reflection; Lee is reflecting on the bond he shared with his mother
"how she carried me on her back
between home and the kindergarten
once each morning and once each afternoon"

Word Choice- As an overall, Lee uses simple language that all ages would be able to understand as he is trying to reach a wide range of people.

Imagery-Lee uses imagery through out his poem to show different experiences he had with his mother and ones he hopes to have with his son
"When I lay my head in my mother's lap
I think how day hides the stars,
the way I lay hidden once, waiting"
"I think, Dear God, and remember
there are stars we haven't heard from yet:"

Style- The poem has a stanza of 7 lines and then a one line stanza. The 7 line stanzas are more setting up the scene and then the one line is more a statement.
"I don't know what my mother's thinking." and "I've no idea what my child is thinking."
Lee italicized the only religious referencing words in his poem, "Dear God," and "Amen."

Theme- Li-Young Lee is getting his audience to think about being a present being in their lives. He goes back and forth from being cared for to caring for someone and in both he stops to think about moments that he will never forget and wants to almost relive.
"Between two unknowns, I live my life.
Between my mother's hopes, older than I am
by coming before me, and my child's wishes, older than I am
by outliving me. And what's it like?"

One thing I have learned from dancing is to never take a moment for granted because it can be taken away before you know it. I've watched 10 and 11 year olds work day in and day out to be the best and days before competition break their foot or tear their ACL. Years later they are back winning, but not because they are the best one on the stage, but because they are living in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment