Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Poetry Blog #2

I really like Mark Strand's poetic conversation that he has in response to the poem "You, Andrew Marvell". He seems to experience the same thing that I do with many poems: he places himself in the poem in order to get a deeper and more personal understanding of what it's trying to say. He says that he "only knew... that [he] was the figure 'face down beneath the sun.'" He's saying that he saw himself as the person in the poem, which allows him to be more connected to it. In "To His Coy Mistress", Andrew Marvel conveys to readers the idea that our time is short and that we need to appreciate the beauty of what we have before it runs out. We should "sit down, and think which way // to walk, and pass our long love's day." "You, Andrew Marvell" also discusses the passing of time as the speaker describes the coming of night. Macleish is also warning of the quickness of time when he says, "To feel how swift how secretly // the shadow of the night comes on."

I usually don't feel like I understand what poems are talking about, but with these, I can somewhat connect with what the speakers are saying. Just like Strand, I can place myself into the poems and feel the passing of time. I know how fast time can go, so it's easy for me to understand and interpret what the poems are saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment