Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Poetry Blog #4

"You and I" by Ingrid Michaelson is a great example of a love song that isn't necessarily like all of the others (also it just came on shuffle on my phone so I went with it). In the song, Ingrid and Dan Romer sing about being in love with each other and they create fantasies for themselves and their families. Starting in the first line, the song is filled with figurative language. It goes, "Don't you worry, there, my honey. We might not have any money, but we've got our love to pay the bills." A hyperbole is used to exaggerate the couple's financial situation by saying that they don't have any money and love is personified to be able to pay bills. The whole point of the song is to say that nothing really matters as long as the two people love each other, which is shown in that first line. Even though they don't have money, their love is going to fix that issue and everything is going to be okay. The chorus is one big fantasy that they have in which they "buy [their] parents homes in the south of France", "give everybody nice sweaters", and "build a house on a mountain". Listeners get the sense that the two are deeply in love and these dreams are sparked from their romantic feelings for each other. Even though the song isn't realistic, I like how light and happy it is. It takes love and makes the best out of it, whereas many other songs focus on the more negative aspects that come from it. The song always puts me in a good mood and I wish that someday I will feel as strongly for someone else as the people do in "You and I".

No comments:

Post a Comment