Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Poetry Blog #3

"Weighing the Dog" and "One Art" are both poems that have to do with someone who has once been in a relationship with another but is not anymore. However, both poems seem to convey a different feeling towards this loss of a relationship. In "Weighing the Dog", Collins writes about how he didn't realize what he had in his relationship until it was over. He says, "I never figured out what you amounted to // until I subtracted you from our combination." I'm saddened by his realization and I can feel that he feels regret and at least somewhat wishes he could get back the relationship that he lost. In "One Art", Bishop discusses the "Art of losing", which led her to lose her relationship with someone else. She says, "Even losing you... It's evident // the art of losing's not too hard to master." She, too has lost someone, but I don't pick up on the same remorseful feeling that was present in the last poem. She talks about the loss in almost a joking way, which tells me that she wasn't too connected to the relationship or she just doesn't feel much for others. 

I have absolutely no experience with romantic love, but if I had to guess which poem I would most lean towards if I did, I would say "Weighing the Dog". Even though I've never been romantically in love with someone, I love many people dearly. It would be so so hard to let go of any of my family or friends. If I did, I am positive that I'd feel regret and remorse and wish that I could have them back. I could never lightly talk about losing my relationship with someone I love like Bishop did in "One Art". 

1 comment:

  1. Adam--Could it be that Bishop's speaker is attempting to convince herself that these losses can be taken in stride, but through her bravado we see how difficult loss truly is?

    ReplyDelete