Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Parting of the Red Sea

The parting of the Red Sea is a well known story. The Israelites are fleeing the grip of the Egyptians, under the Pharaoh. So, the Lord tells Moses to camp between Migdol and the Sea and then convinces the Pharaoh through his mystical persuasions to pursue the fleeing Israelites. He says "And I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and he will pursue them. But I will gain glory for myself through Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord." The Egyptians follow the Israelites and at some point a large wall-like cloud appears between the pursuers and the Israel encampment to protect Moses. "Pharaoh Pharaoh, oh baby, let my people go". Anyway, the next morn God instructs Moses to extend his hand and the Red Sea parts. You know the rest. What I found strange about this was that the way in which it was described in the Bible led me to believe that the Egyptians were not planning on following the Israelites until God commanded them to do so. Its as if he created this drama to make himself look better. WHAT? 

   Miracles do happen. I say "Miracles" referring to #rare and positive events; not necessarily divine intervention. Recently my cousin and her family, who are missionaries in Uganda were victim to a very bad car crash involving a semi. She had had a c-section weeks prior which was ripped open. Her body was crushed and one of their children was killed. The medical services over there are very poor and she was given little attention. A surgeon decided to operate on her before she had a blood transfusion and when he cut into her thigh, she didn't bleed. Somehow, despite all this, she is alive and recovering and the rest of their children and her husband are okay. This is a miracle, although I wouldn't jump to attribute it to God's doing. I believe it was very lucky, but I would rather give her and her positive, supportive family credit than God. 

WHO WON?
   VS.

YOU DECIDE

2 comments:

  1. I think the amount of TLS swag that's in Gates's picture is more than enough to beat Kristen Freaking Stewart (seriously though, the resemblance is very weird)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that you, Keaton? Leo's right. You look a lot like Kristen Stewart. Also, Gates wins.

    ReplyDelete