Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Poetry Blog #4

Song lyrics often use love and relationships as a theme.  Choose a song from a recording artist whose work you enjoy, and analyze the lyrics in the same way you would a piece of literature.  Discuss how the songwriter uses imagery, diction, syntax, allusion, and figurative language, and explain their effect on the song.

To be honest, I can't really think right now, so the song I choose isn't my ideal song of choice, but it will have to do for this blogpost. Taylor Swift's "All Too Well" depicts a love story from one of her past relationships. The song is narrative, and thus uses emmaculate imagery to illustrate the situation.

Consider the following passages from "All Too Well:"
 Oh, your sweet disposition and my wide-eyed gaze
We're singing in the car getting lost upstate
Autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place
'Cause there we are again, on that little town street
You almost ran the red 'cause you were looking over me
Wind in my hair, I was there, I remember it all too well
Finally, Taylor Swift utilizes some figurative language in the following passage:

And you call me up again just to break me like a promise
So casually cruel in the name of being honest
I'm a crumpled up piece of paper lying here
'Cause I remember it all, all, all too well

No comments:

Post a Comment