Tuesday, February 11, 2014

JJ

I really didn't know what song I would do for this blog post, but then I was in the car and heard the song 'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing' by Jack Johnson, one of my favorite singers. The song is literally about waiting and wishing for someone to follow through with the relationship and is pretty straight forward, so I enjoy it. As someone who doesn't like mystery and things like that, the song talks about that dislike and takes it and puts it in a song, which I really enjoy. He employs repetition to emphasize the three words in the title and put a whole new perspective on it. He utilizes rhetorical questions to direct the song/poem at a person and relationship. He also uses a metaphor of shooting a gun throughout it to talk about 'shooting' him down, which brings a great overall effect to the poem and makes the meaning bring out a greater purpose. While there aren't direct allusions to the Bible, he does mention the Lord ("But Lord knows that this world is cruel") which brings out a different perspective to it, as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment