Monday, February 3, 2014

Luv

"They Flee From Me" by Sir Thomas Wyatt seems to describe love as it is fresh and intense on the mind. It is a fleeting glimpse at the beauty and immediate attraction, both of gentleness and sexuality of a lover. It does not address any sort of commitment or long term affair in which a love bond (love bond?) might grow much stronger.
I am going to stray from that point, as I have now skimmed through all of the poems. It is funny how it seems to be a trend amongst the men to write, although maybe with more superficial observations, about how much they love a woman, while the women mostly write about how strange it is that men "leap overboard in squadrons" to pursue love when most often it kills them. Modern society likes to portray women as emotional and needy, while the men are detached and independent. These poems demonstrate the opposite.
My perspective on love is that it is not fleeting. I used to think that you could love someone and not long after get bored of them. That was middle school...sooo... Really I'm not sure if you can stop loving someone. Maybe you can distance yourself and forget about them for the most part, but I don't think that people stop loving one another often. Married couples that get tired of each other? Maybe it was infatuation, not love, or maybe one or both people change so that the person that the other fell in love with no longer exists. I'm rambling. Anyway, love is precious and rare. I have felt it. I hope that everyone will.

Hollaback.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...I wonder if your insight about love poems written by men vs. those by women speaks to the attitude of the editors or the poets? I love how Millay acknowledges the power of love but but wont commit to its hold over her.

    ReplyDelete