Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Poetry Blog

TWIST of “Marks” by Linda Pastan

My husband gives me an A
for last night's supper, 
an incomplete for my ironing, 
a B plus in bed.
My son says I am average, 
an average mother, but if
I put my mind to it
I could improve.
My daughter believes 
in Pass/Fail and tells me
I pass. Wait 'til they learn
I'm dropping out. 

Tone- insulted, solemn, apathetic. She talks about her family telling her she’s “incomplete” and “average”, and how she’s going to “drop out”. The poem overall gives a tone that she is sad and disappointed that her own family thinks of her this way and she’s not going to put up with it.

Word Choice/Diction- The diction is negative, again emphasized by words such as “incomplete” “average” “dropping out” “B”. The word choice is pretty simple.

Imagery/Figurative Language- The whole poem creates imagery of an imperfect family. We can visualize her “incomplete” ironing and “B plus” life in bed, and well as her son calling her “”average, and her daughter telling her she “passes” as a mother.

Syntax/Structure- Mostly simple sentences “My husband…” My son…” “My daughter…” However the first sentence and second sentences lack conjunctions. It’s all one stanza to show this subject does not have any room for negotiation; she is no longer putting up with how her family treats her.

Theme- Being blood related doesn’t make you “family”; Don’t put up with people who don’t respect and appreciate you. This poem points out that not all families are perfect.


This poem reminded me of my mom, in a good way. My mom is very independent and doesn’t put up with anyone’s crap. She’s not afraid to speak her mind and fight for what’s right. The woman in the poem also isn’t putting up with any crap, and is finally doing what’s right for herself. I also like this poem because it shows that not all families are not perfect, creating a more realistic idea about family life than the idealized “2.5 kids and a white picket fence”.

No comments:

Post a Comment