Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Poetry 2

Andrew Marvell in his poem is very blunt. He says "we are going to die soon". Basically he is putting Mcleish's poem into laemens terms. Mcleish talks about the "shadow" in place of death. Maybe it was easier to write about because it sounds much less morbid when hidden behind a different wording. I like marvells better personally. Not that I'm some goth that glorifies death or anything I just think it works better in this situation to be blunt like Marvell. I think this because as a self proclaimed lazy person I can say there are very few universal things that can motivate every single person on this earth. One of them is death and what both of these poets are eager to point out is that death is all around us. And so, we should all be aware that each one of these "fleeting moments" could be our last one. Once we realize this we will understand that it is our duty as living, breathing people to live each moment like there will not be another to follow. Or to YOLO as some people might say today. That's why I prefer marvells method hear. It brings death right up to the front of our minds and really let's the message set in and reminds us to really enjoy our time here. But that's just my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment