Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Poetry 2

Okay--to be honest, my poetry insightnfulness is not strong, so I really had no idea what these two poems mean when I first read them. After reading Mark Strand's essay, "To His Coy Misstress" and "You, Andrew Marvell" began to make a little more sense (just a little). I was suprised at the sexual undertone "To His Coy Misstress" took. Andrew Marvell's straight-forward speaker directly tries to seduce a woman. His sweet talk and compliments such as "My vegetable love should grow
Vaster than empires and more slow" makes it obvious of the speakers motives. In contrast, Archibald Marvell's poem talks about things ending in a general way such as  "And Lebanon fade out". However, these two poems seem completly different at first, but they both are discussing time ending or running out. I  think Mark Strand is trying to make the most of his poetry career before time runs out for him. When comparing all of these together, the message I interpret from all of this is to do everything you can before time runs out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment