Monday, January 20, 2014

Chapter 6 Poems - Identity

The Quiet Life
I chose this poem because it was about finding satisfaction in the quiet, something I can relate to. This poem basically discuses how life is not measured by what you do, but rather by how you live it, saying a man is truly happy if he is “content to breathe his native air in his own ground.” I get a sense of bliss while reading this poem from phrase like “sound sleep by night, study and ease.” When the speaker says “let me live, unseen” he is not saying that his life is defined by his quietness, but rather his quietness defines his life. This entire poem allows the reader to understand the happiness the speaker finds in his own peaceful company, an example of his personal identity.

I’m Nobody! Who are you?
I chose this poem because I immediately recognized Emily Dickinson. The identity of the speaker is clearly shown through her exclamations, such as “I’m Nobody!” These exclamations show the speaker is proud of who she is, even if society thinks she is a “nobody.” She further exemplifies her thoughts by mentioning “how dreary – to be – somebody!” However, just because she is proud of being a nobody means she wants to be a somebody – “Don’t tell! They’d advertise – you know!” This shows she is content with who she is and doesn’t want to be anything else. I connected with this poem because I think there is more satisfaction in keeping to you than exposing yourself to the word and standing out in the crowd.


The message of the first poem is that a happy life is one that is made by the person and not by society. The message of the second poem takes this a step further, saying a happy life is only happy when kept away from the public. They are both the same in that they show happiness comes from within and cannot be dictated by outsides.

No comments:

Post a Comment