Monday, April 7, 2014

TYBG 4 teaching me how 2 cook

      Eris, goddess of discord, felt left out because she wasn't invited to a wedding. She decided to stir up trouble and get back at everyone by tossing a golden apple into the banquet, saying it was reserved for the hottest chick in the place. Hera, Aphrodite, and Athena were fighting over it, so Zeus stepped in by not deciding and having someone else figure it out. This duty was placed on the sexiest guy, Paris: Prince of Troy. Aphrodite managed to seduce him to choose her by promising him the most beautiful girl in the world, Helen of Sparta. Helen was thus taken from Sparta to Troy, where she became Helen of Troy.
      Food and my boyfriend Adam are my two favorite things in this world. The two of us are always cooking up something, be it swag or a lamb tagine. I don't know where to begin with all this because cooking food and learning about the culture behind it is a big part of my life. I guess the most “divine” foods are middle eastern. Turkish and Persian foods have so many divine ingredients like pomegranate, lime, honey, saffron, yogurt, lamb, goat, almonds, pistachios, rose, mint, dried fruits, and exotic spices, the kind of stuff that would be eaten at a god party. Some of my other favorite ingredients include anything tropical. Plantains, sweet potatoes, chiles, mangoes, papayas, coconut, lime, ginger, hibiscus. I have to stop myself there.
      Adam and I have it all worked out: we are starting with learning simple Indian cooking and technique. From there it won't be too hard to master West African and Caribbean, as it's mainly just different ingredients. Then it's on to North African and Middle Eastern cooking, which I already have a good grasp of. After that we are going to learn French technique, which is a more fickle process, but from there we could make great Creole and Cajun food. We already have southern cooking down. Alton Brown is our hero and we get lots of advice from watching Good Eats. 
      Food I think is the most perfect art form, as it appeals to all the senses and serves such a human functionality. 
Check out how to become a Master Chef by watching these videos!


No comments:

Post a Comment