Thursday, April 17, 2014

Orpheus and Eurydice

Orpheus, son of Apollo and the muse Calliope, and Eurydice fall in love. However, the night of their marriage, Eurydice is bit by a snake and dies. Orpheus, bent on bringing her back to life, travels to the Underworld to convince Hades and Persephone to release Eurydice. The only "challenge" in this is that on the ascension to the upper world, Eurydice must walk behind Orpheus, who is forbidden from looking at her. But of course, just as they reach the exit, Orpheus spontaneously bursts with passion and apparently can't contain himself for a few more minutes from looking at her. So Eurydice is sent back to the Underworld forever. Orpheus, devastated, mopes around playing sad songs for the rest of his life until a bunch of maidens have had enough of it and tear him apart. 
In my life, I've had much experience with music. I play violin, piano, some other instruments. I really really love music, and don't really want to think about how different my life would be without it. It's one of those things that has just become a part of me that I never want to see disappear. Though I'm going into medicine, I'm majoring in music next year to keep that part of me alive for at least another four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment