Monday, April 21, 2014

Langston Hughes

Langston Hughes's (1902-1967) poetry is considered part of the Harlem Renaissance movement. These typically relate to African Americans, rely on repetitive structure similar it blues music, and/or rely on fragmented structure similar to jazz improvisations (Literary Movements Review).

http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15615



I, Too, Sing America

  by Langston Hughes
I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides, 
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed—

I, too, am America.

The famous poem "I, Too, Sing America" by Langston Hughes is a great example of a Harlem Renaissance poem. It relates to African Americans and their struggles during these times (early 1900s). With racism strong in America, Hughes aims to let people know that he is a person, an American, too. The second line clearly denotes his reference to African Americans by referring to himself as the "darker brother." He speaks of the discrimination inflicted upon him by being sent "to eat in the kitchen" but he is not phased as he "laughs" and "grows strong." He knows America will one day get over its racism, and implies this by contrasting what he previously said and now stating that, "Tomorrow, [he'll] be at the table" when company comes, not in the kitchen. And he knows that one day America will be ashamed of this period of racism in its history, as he knows and restates that he is just as American as anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment